Among the huge selection of coolers is very easy to get lost even an experienced person. From this article, you will learn what to look for and how to make the right choice. We will try to help you choose the really best cooler.
The main task of coolers is to prevent heat transfer of the contents of the bag to the environment as much as possible. And they are several times cheaper than high-grade auto-refrigerators.
Most coolers are equipped with thick insulating walls, sealed clasps and internal, and sometimes external, reflective surfaces. Their purpose is to maintain a low temperature of drinks and products that have already been cooled or frozen before being placed in such a bag for a very short time, usually from 8 to 24 hours. For example, if you decide to go on a Saturday outing with an overnight stay.
Best Coolers – Our Comparison Table
CleverMade SnapBasket 50 Can
|Arctic Zone Titan Deep Freeze Cooler||16/30/48 cans||$$||8/10|
|AO Coolers Water-Resistant Cooler||12/24/36/48 cans||$$$||8/10|
|Coleman 54-Quart Steel-Belted Cooler||85 cans||$$$$||7/10|
|Coleman 42-Can Wheeled Soft Cooler||42 cans||$$||9/10|
Coleman 16-Can Soft Cooler
How to choose the Best Cooler?
1. On external design, it is better to give preference to coolers in which the outer fabric is reflective, there is a strap for carrying on the shoulder and there are one or two external isothermal pockets plus one or two simple mesh ones.
2. The more often you open a cooler, the quicker it leaves the cold. Pick up a model in which a small, sealed valve is provided in the top cover for immediate access inside its volume. He at least a little, but will save the cold accumulated in the cooler.
3. The volume is important and the big bag will work effectively only with a large number of products. The fewer drinks and products, the smaller the bag should be, so they will last longer and cool better. In order not to buy several thermosensors for different needs, you can buy one, but with a few isolated compartments from each other. Such are found on sale.
4. Rigid isothermal containers are not much better than soft thermosensor-refrigerators, but they are more expensive and take up more space.
Seven rules for long-term preservation of products cooled
- Load only chilled foods into the cooler.
- When buying food, remember that it is better to have a one-liter bottle than two half-liter bottles: less surface – less heat emission.
- A large bag is needed only with a large number of products; a couple of bottles of water and a few chocolates will last longer in a small thermal box than in a huge trunk.
- Cold storage batteries will help not only on the road but at home: if suddenly turn off the electricity, the freezers of refrigerators will last longer with such coolers. And where else could they lie, if not in the freezer?
- If possible, do not hold the bag with food in the trunk, especially if the car is equipped with air conditioning. The interior is cooler, so the products will last much longer.
- Remember: the more you open the bag, the faster it will escape from its coolness.
- The approximate need for cold accumulators in the heat is at least 200 grams of refrigerant for every 6 liters of usable volume.
Wheels, handle, locks and other small things
It is very important that the cooler you choose can easily be carried or transported.
Small models of coolers and backpacks should have comfortable adjustable handles of sufficient width with soft pads for added comfort. Therefore, choosing a refrigerator cooler in the store and trying it on your shoulder, keep in mind that with food and drinks it will become much harder.
A large-sized thermo-cooler can be equipped with small wheels and a folding handle (like a suitcase-trolley).
A huge plus of any isothermal cooler is the presence of a built-in lock. A hermetically sealed cover is good, but when carrying or transporting products and it can accidentally open, which can prevent the lock, thereby protecting the products from damage and car seats from stains.
On sale, there are coolers-refrigerators with a set of dishes. Depending on the price, the dishes can be made of plastic or metal. In addition to plates, mugs, spoons, forks, and knives, some models include a small towel and cutting board, a knife for opening cans, napkins and even glasses.
A cooler can have several compartments for products, it is very convenient if it has a special place for storing bottles. Pay attention to the presence of several small pockets for different trifles. There are models with waterproof pockets for documents that will not let you down, even if something spills in the cooler.
Some tips for choosing a cooler
- Go to shopping for specialty shops.
- The product you select must have a quality certificate and a guarantee.
- Be sure to ask the seller to open the cooler and touch its walls. They should not be thin, otherwise, such a model will not be able to maintain the desired temperature for a long time (even with the use of cold accumulators).
- Choose a cooler based on your needs. Again, consider whether you will carry it in your hands or transport it by car.
- Additional accessories will make the use of the cooler more convenient but significantly increase its price.